8 Workouts You Should Try


Exercise has always been part of my life.  My dad was a physical education teacher and coach, my mom was an amazing aerobics instructor, and my sister was a college athlete.  It's just something we do, but as I get older I find it harder to WANT to exercise like I used to.  I used to LOVE it, and couldn't go a day without it, but now I am working to find that love again.


For some, a workout is the best part of the day.  It's their "me time" - a way to de-stress from a long day at the office, or a chance to make their spouse wrangle the kiddos so they can have 60 minutes of sanity.  It releases all the endorphins ("happy people just don't shoot their husbands," HAD TO DO IT...) and makes you feel good!
On the other hand, there are people who dread the mere thought of a droplet of sweat beading up on their perfectly powdered forehead.  They think workouts are hard, tedious, monotonous, and overall NUF. (NUF is a word I got from my sister and her college friends.  It's FUN backwards, hence, no fun!)  If that sounds like you, then keep reading sister because I am about to change your life. *really wish emojis were available here*

I am motivated by a class atmosphere.  I CAN go to the gym and do a workout, but that is what makes workouts NUF for me.  I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I enjoy socializing - pause for reaction - so I have tried A LOT of workout classes.  I am going to tell you a few of my favorite local classes, (local meaning Charleston, WV - Huntington, WV and surrounding areas!) BUT these classes exist everywhere, so if you're interested find one near you!  I also want to note that all of these classes allow you to go at your own pace or modify! I do it ALL THE TIME.

Zumba
OF COURSE I am mentioning Zumba first! I took classes from 2010-2016 a minimum 2x a week, and was an instructor from 2011-2015.  I LOVE dancing, and Zumba is the easiest dance fitness class to follow.  When I was teaching I heard "I don't want people to look at me" ALL THE TIME, and I have to tell you, NOBODY is looking at you.  Everyone is looking at the instructor and trying to figure out what to do next.  I have a couple of friends at Power Up in Hurricane, WV who are keeping the Zumba flame alive after all these years.  Sarah and Brandy will get you moving and smiling in no time, AND their class is in a dark room if that makes you feel better!



Orange Theory Fitness
OTF is unlike any workout I've ever done before.  The energy is so high in that room that you can't possibly slack on the workout, which consists of row machines, treadmills, and a weight area.  The coach guides you through a workout on each section of the studio.  They display your percentage of max heart rate on a big screen, so you can keep track of how hard you are pushing.  The ultimate goal is to spend 12 minutes in the orange and red zones, so that you can keep burning calories all day.  While they encourage you to go at your own pace, this is difficult for me because I am competitive with myself AND others, so I always want to have the most splat points or be finished first - which is both good and bad sometimes!


Yoga varieties
I have been to many, many yoga classes in my life.  I once fell asleep in one at the YMCA and woke up to bright lights, an empty class, and 2 guys dribbling basketballs across the floor.  Not one of my finer moments.  I found a deep love for practicing yoga while Matt was going through cancer treatments because of the stress release.  I used that time to pray and focus my energy on positivity.  There are many varieties of yoga classes, but my friend, Katie Smith, introduced me to heated flow, and it is now my favorite.  Power Yoga has a lot of really fun classes, including aerial yoga.  I recommend trying a few before you decide that you are or aren't a yogi.


Running Groups
If you enjoy running, God bless you.  I ran consistently for awhile, and never truly fell in love with it, but I did love races.  Did I mention I'm pretty competitive?  If you aren't a runner, but you want to be, check out some running groups.  My mother-in-law's church did a Run4God group a couple of years ago, and I loved it! It's always nice to have someone to encourage you...and sometimes commiserate!

Drop-in Dance Class
If you aren't aware, I am a HUGE Dancing with the Stars fan.  I have watched every single season, I vote, I stan their social media accounts - I LOVE DANCE.  I had wanted to take ballroom dance classes for years, but never found any in this area.  Then, as luck would have it, a local dance studio started offering drop-in classes once a month for Ballroom, Hip-hop, Tap, Lyrical, Breakdancing, etc.  I have fallen in love with ballroom and hip-hop class!  It's an opportunity to put every insecurity aside, and just immerse yourself in learning the art.  It is SO FUN!  Here is an example of Hip-hop and here is an example of Ballroom!

TRX
This is definitely a workout that is harder than it looks.  You are basically using your entire body weight to squat, plank, lunge, etc. and I will warn you now, if you go hard on your first workout, it's going to be 48 hours minimum before you can comfortably sit on a toilet again.  Just sayin'!  You will work and tone all those muscles that have been hiding in the deep dark crevices of your body.  Pilates Plus offers these classes along with Booty Barre and Pilates (obvi)!  Barre and Pilates will also make it hard function normally for a couple of days.  Just accept the fact that you will be walking like you have a broomstick up your butt, and it will be fine!

Beachbody OnDemand
If you're not convinced that a class is right for you, I highly recommend Beachbody On Demand.  It is basically the Netflix of workouts.  It has every type of workout you can imagine, and you can fit it in between the cracks of your life.  Some workouts are 20-30 minutes, so you can get them finished quickly and move on with your life.  I also really enjoy the variety!

Boxing
This is one of those classes that feels very intimidating, but when you're finished you feel silly for being nervous.  Boxing is a great total body workout, and it is excellent for stress relief!  I like that Boxing Fit gives you rubber gloves to wear under the boxing gloves, so I feel less like I'm wallering around in staph infection and germs!

If all else fails, there is always good ol' fashioned walking!  Throw on your shoes, grab your pup, and hit the pavement!  There is something out there you will enjoy! It may be challenging at first, but that is how you grow.  It is absolutely necessary to move your body 30 minutes each day, and I don't care how you do it.  No, we don't always feel like it, but that is when we have to make the decision - what is more important?  What you want for your future, or what you want right now?  Let me know what you think if you try a class.  OR if you want to try a class, but need some moral support, SEND ME A DM! I'll go with you, and we will conquer the fear together! *insert strong arm emoji*

xo- Kellie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Ghosting Yourself

My Secret Sauce

Happy C-Section Awareness Month!