What to do with the spare room...

When you are just one person in a two bedroom house, one of the most common questions you have to answer is "What are you going to do with that other room?"  My spare room has been like the black hole of my house.  I'll admit that I'm a little messy.  I like my kitchen and bathrooms clean, but I don't really care if there are clothes on the floor and stuff on my coffee table.  That's just how I roll.  So, if I don't know where to put something, I open the door to the spare room, and throw it in!  I still haven't figured out how that room could accumulate so much junk in just one year!  I have attempted to clean out the spare room no less than 10 times, yet I am defeated each time.  It's like a little elf follows me around the room making more messes...or it could be because I am easily distracted, and my gnat-like attention span just can't make it through such a tedious task!

My initial plan when I moved in the house was to make it a second closet!  I planned to purchase "rolly racks" and shoe racks, and line the walls with beautiful clothes, accessories, and footwear!  My giant make-up vanity at the center of it all.  Ladies, just take a moment to picture it...sighhhhhh.  Unfortunately, I am bad about the whole "out of sight, out of mind" thing.  If I put clothes in storage, I might as well just give them away because I will forget all about them and never wear them again.  I just know that if I left them in the spare room they would be forgotten before crop tops and high waisted shortie shorts go back out of style.  (I don't know why they even came back in the first place! Not attractive...) Also, the more I thought about it, the sillier it sounded.

The more practical thing would be to make it a guest bedroom.  I had a small get together with about 10 of my friends one night, and 6 of them ended up staying over.  I was so unprepared!  I had my sectional sofa, but no extra beds!  Poor Brittany had to sleep on the floor, in the spare room, surrounded by my junk towering over her.  She probably had nightmares!  The guys (who gave the girls the couch, such gentlemen!) had to sleep on blankets stacked up on the hardwood floor.  Everyone felt like a million bucks the next day!  Note my sarcasm.  Although it seems practical, I decided against the guest bedroom because I haven't had anyone spend the night since that night.  Also, I thought to myself, do I really want to open my house for people to come stay?  That would require more cleaning....Nahhhh. ;)

After I killed that idea, I thought about making Matt a mancave, which could double as a guest room if necessary! (I know he doesn't always read my blogs, so don't tell him about this part! It might break his little heart! ;))  The plan was to get a futon, a minifridge, and a little indoor putting green (because that boy loves him some golf!)  Then I would set up a tv with his PS4 (or whatever gaming system the kids are playing these days!) and SURPRISE!  Then I thought, how often would he REALLY be there to use it?  Answer: Not often. Besides, he has a mancave all to himself at his own house!  Maybe someday!

I ultimately decided that it is MY house that I work hard to pay for, so that room should be for ME!  Yes, I am allowed to be selfish in my own home.  SO, I have turned the spare room into, wait for it.......a home gym! (I've been watching too much How I Met Your Mother!)  Feast your eyes upon the beauty that is my workout room!  It needs a name, but I can't think of one at the moment.  I decided that I would turn that room into something that I could use to benefit me, and what is more beneficial than a home gym!?  Also, with the cold winter months fast approaching and no Zumba classes, this should help me to stay on track with my workouts!

Like an IDIOT, I forgot to take "before" pictures, so just imagine a baby blue room with junk piled from floor to ceiling!  My friends can vouch for me, it was pretty bad!  I still need to find some wall art, a rug, and some curtains, but finding the perfect pieces takes some time!

And a big thank you to my dad for repairing, painting, and helping me hang things!  I still can't figure out this "finding the stud" business! I just put the nail in the wall where I think it looks good! ;)  Love you, fajah!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Ghosting Yourself

My Secret Sauce

Happy C-Section Awareness Month!