Writing it all down

I haven't been inspired to blog about anything lately, so I decided to break my blogger's block by writing about why I write!  I know some people may think blogging is lame, or so I've been told because nobody is going to say it to my face, but I really don't care. I think people often assume they hate reading and writing because throughout our entire educational careers we are forced to read and write about things we don't have interest in reading and writing about.  Just because you weren't great at writing essays doesn't mean you aren't a good writer.

When I am mad, sad, frustrated, or upset in anyway, I like to write it down.  I know I can't be the only person who does this.  There is something therapeutic about taking it out of my head and putting it down on a piece of paper.  I keep a notebook on my nightstand for this very reason.  If I can't sleep because my mind is racing, I start writing.  Sometimes it's a letter, sometimes its a prayer, or sometimes it's just a list of things that I need to do the next day (If y'all don't know- I LOVE LISTS.)  Usually those thoughts gets crumpled up and thrown in a trashcan, buried in the middle pages of an old notebook, or typed in a blog post that is immediately deleted.

I've always enjoyed reading and writing! I used to tell my dad that I had to do book reports that didn't exist! I just really liked them, so I wanted to do them, but was too embarrassed to tell him that they weren't actually assigned!  Each fake report resulted in a trip to see Mrs. Savilla at the Eleanor library, where she helped me check out books on my topic of choice! When I was finished with my report, I would have dad read it to check for errors (as if I were turning it in for a grade).  I loved playing school and I wanted to be an English teacher for a long time! Sometimes I regret going in to business, especially this time of year when my teacher friends are Instagramming their pool pictures!  Then I remember my work experience class, where I shadowed an 8th grade English teacher for 9 weeks. Completely killed the dream! I won't go into detail, but it was miserable.

My Grammy (although I have a thing against "y"s, so I like to spell it Grammie.  If it were up to me, all names ending in "y" would be "ie".)  Anywho, my Grammy used to keep journals, and blogging is sort of like my online journal.  Except it's public, and a little more thought goes into it.  It must be in my genes because my Aunt Ann has a few blogs that I love to read too!  (I will post those at the bottom of this blog!)  My Grammy loved writing and telling stories.  She used to help my sister and I write stories while she babysat us.  We had big imaginations, so we would start spouting off random thoughts, and she would write them down while encouraging us to go on.  My dad says I remind him of her more everyday! In fact, just about every time I go to her old church in Red House, someone will talk to me for about 5 minutes before asking "You're not Theda's granddaughter, are you?"  I was only 5 or 6 years old when she passed away, so I don't know if they are accurate in comparing us, but I can hope!

I was just getting the hang of reading when she started to become very sick.  I was so excited about it that I brought a book to her house just to show her.  I propped myself up on a pillow beside her to tell her about my new skill, and she asked me in her very quiet, weak voice to prove it.  She listened patiently as I stammered along, "sounding out" and mispronouncing words with her eyes closed and a smile on her lips.  When I was finished, she didn't have to say a word, that smile said it all.  Sometimes when I'm reading a book, my mind wonders off to that moment, and then it puts a smile on my lips.

I write for many reasons, but I put it out there for the world to read because I hope someone can click on the link and escape from their day for just 5 minutes!  I don't claim to be a great writer, I just like to do it.  I think the world would be a better place if more people quit caring what others think, and just started doing what makes them happy.  So, I hope your Monday isn't too terrible, and you enjoy the rest of your week.  Do something that makes you happy! :)

As promised, these are my Aunt Ann's blogs. :)
http://teechur29.blogspot.com/
http://annspencer-godwinks.blogspot.com/
http://annspencer-annspencer.blogspot.com/

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Ghosting Yourself

My Secret Sauce

Happy C-Section Awareness Month!