So long, Farewall, Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu


 To say this has been a good year for my dad would be THE understatement.  After 35 years of teaching and coaching, it all comes to a bittersweet end this week.  Can you believe it took him this long to get out of an elementary school? (Bad joke! haha) I have to say, all of the parents and people in our community really spoiled him throughout the year! Thank you!  I'm sure Helen won't have any problem bringing him back to reality with a nice, long honey-do list! ;)
 
 
I really wonder what my dad will end up doing with his new freedom.  People keep telling me that they think he will become a referee or volunteer at games because "he just can't stay away from it."  I don't see that happening, but they do have a point.  He has been involved with GWMS athletics for so long that it will be different to go through the fall without hearing about the Blue Devils!  In fact, my birthday is October 10th, which happens to be right-smack-dab in the middle of football season.  The reason that my birthday is on October 10th is because in 1989, that was a Tuesday.  This meant that Dad could be there when Helen had me in the morning, give her a couple of days to recover, and he could make it to coach his game on Thursday night!  That story always makes me feel so special... -_- 
 
 
Helen retired three years ago and has really been living it up!  The most common question I get is, "So, what is your mom doing now that she's retired? Is she working anywhere?"  My question back to them is always, "Why would she retire to work? That would be stupid."  She does whatever she feels like doing!  That's how it should be!  If she wants to sleep in until 10:00 and make chocolate chip cookies, she can.  I am super jealous of Helen's retired life!
 
 
I'm interested to see what dad and Helen end up doing now that they will BOTH be retired.  Together.  Spending day after day...together! That's a lot of togetherness!  I'm sure you will still find them at all the football, basketball, softball, etc. games, cheering on the Blue Devils and Bison (while wearing their matching T-Shirts, of course).  Maybe they will buy an RV and follow the Mountaineers around the United States, who knows!?  The world is their oyster now! I'm sure there are plenty of adventures out there to be had for those two!


 
Dad, we are so happy for you, and so proud of all that you have accomplished in the past 35 years!  We love you tons and we hope that you and Helen continue to have the most incredible life together, filled with fun, laughter, happiness, adventure, and more fun!  Happy retirement! :)
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Ghosting Yourself

My Secret Sauce

Happy C-Section Awareness Month!