I have something to say...

I’ve thought long and hard about this blog. I don’t want to sound proud or boastful, and I don’t want to sound like I’m lecturing. I just want to share these thoughts and maybe make a point.

As women, we all have things about ourselves we don’t love and often try to change. Our butts are huge; we have thunder thighs, or worst of all, the dreaded booty-do. This is when your belly sticks out further than your booty do. It doesn’t matter if you’re a body builder or a couch potato, there is something you want to improve upon or make better.

I’ve never been skinny. I’ve always been bigger than my friends, but that has never stopped me from being who I am. Throughout my entire life I have exercised, played various sports, and I still love being active. I am extremely healthy, and I have blood work and doctor records to prove it! However; as I grow older I am quickly realizing that weight is just going to be something that I struggle with, and I am completely at peace with that. I love exercise and salad, but I also love to watch TV and eat cupcakes! That’s what makes life fun! One thing that has always remained the same, no matter how much I weigh, is my confidence. If I want to do something, come hell or high water, I’m going to do it, and I’m going to do it well.

STORY TIME! I had never cheered a day in my life, but the summer before my 8th grade year, I decided to try out. My dad and sister were beyond thrilled! (Note the sarcasm). I worked SO hard that entire summer! Helen sat on the front porch and counted to 8 as I did toe-touches with her ankle weights over and over until my legs were about to give out underneath me. I watched myself practice the cheers and dances in the reflection of our storm door every single day. I’m sure all the neighbors got a big kick out of it too. Try outs came and I’ll admit, I was a little nervous, but I did it. I loved cheerleading! Dancing around in a skirt, yelling, and all while people looked at me? What’s not to love!? My point is that it would’ve been easy for me to look around at all of the “skinny” girls that had been cheering since the age of 6 and say, “nope, can’t do it!” but I didn’t. My weight has never, ever stopped me from doing something that I want to do.

If you don’t know that I am a Zumba Fitness instructor by now, you must be deaf, blind, and stupid! One of the things I hear so often is “I like coming to your class because if you can do it, I can do it.” I know this is meant to be a complement, which is flattering, but sometimes I wish I could reply, “Well of course I can do it. Why couldn’t I?” I have been to several trainings and MANY other Zumba events, and let me tell you, I can dance a heck of a lot better than most of those “skinny” girls!

So I just want to say that how you look doesn’t determine who you are or what you can do. If you have confidence you can do anything you want to do. When you are truly at peace with yourself, confidence just comes naturally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Ghosting Yourself

My Secret Sauce

Happy C-Section Awareness Month!