Patty & Amy: Not so extraordinary, imaginary friends

I grew up in a neighborhood full of kids; unfortunately everyone was at least 5 years older than me, including my sister, Tara.  Our interests were vastly different when it came to everyday playtime and games.  Tara always wanted to play games like baseball or one she invented that involved throwing things at me.  I was more interested in playing “Pretty, Pretty Princess” or makeover, and no one shared this interest with me!  (As I mentioned in “Scrubby Bubbles,” I had quite an imagination, and I wasn’t afraid to use it.)
One day when I woke up, I suddenly had a new friend, Amy.  She was the best friend I could’ve asked for.  Amy was there when I needed her, and gone when I didn’t need her.  She did what I wanted to do, played what I wanted to play, and talked when I wanted to talk!  It was great!  I know that most imaginary friends can do extraordinary things, like fly or walk on the ceiling.  My friend was slightly different.  You see, Amy was unfortunately handicapped, and therefore confined to a wheelchair.
I know what you’re thinking, and people who have heard this story before always ask, “Why would you make her handicapped!?”  My answer is and always will be the same, “She was handicapable, and would you not be friends with someone because they are in a wheelchair?”  I strongly believe that you don’t choose your imaginary friends!  They choose you!
It was a typical day at Mrs. Cindy’s Preschool with Amy.  I moved a chair by the table and wheeled her over next to me so we could work a puzzle.  Amy and I were in the middle of a lovely conversation when I heard Cindy’s footsteps behind me, followed by her voice, “Kellie, who are you talking to?”  I looked up at her thinking, “Are you blind?  It’s Amy, duh!”  She clearly couldn’t see her, so I had to describe what she looked like.  I remember her exactly!  She had long, curly, brown hair and brown eyes.  She was wearing a blue and white striped shirt, pink shorts, and white Keds with blue folded down socks.
I wheeled Amy around wherever we went, but I have to admit, it got to be a hassle.  If I was swinging and wanted to run over to the slide or join in a game, I would sometimes forget Amy!  Also, because I would walk around with my arms out pushing her, people would always ask where Amy was if I didn’t have my arms out!  C’mon people, what’s with the third degree!?  I knew something had to be done, so that was when Patty came into the picture!
Patty had short, blonde hair, and blue eyes.  She wasn’t as nice as Amy, and she always had an attitude when I asked her to do things.  She wore a purple t-shirt, jean shorts, and Nike tennis shoes.  Patty would push Amy’s wheelchair for me so I didn’t forget about her and leave her outside.  The invention of Patty solved the problem of people asking me where Amy was when I forgot to push her around.  It was no wonder that Patty always had an attitude with me because she always took the blame for my bad behavior.  If I got into trouble before, nobody would believe Amy did it because she was handicapped!  Patty was much more likely to commit the crimes!
I also have to mention, at this age I was a huge fan of food.  The Schwann man and I were best friends!  When I saw that yellow truck outside I knew that Helen would be buying ice-cream sandwiches, popsicles, and chicken nuggets!  My love of snacking meant I was CONSTANTLY in the refrigerator.  Poor Helen and Jeff.  In their efforts to try and save me from childhood obesity, they implemented a rule that I had to ask if I wanted something to eat.  If Helen heard the door open, she immediately yelled, “Kellie, get out of the frigerator!”  Well, I knew I wanted those ice-cream sandwiches, so I had to think of something fast!  The next time I opened the door, and Helen yelled, I replied “I’m getting Patty and Amy!”  I then explained that Patty and Amy lived in the refrigerator, and I had to get them out and put them back in, so I had to open the door! (I think this is somewhere around the time that Helen was seriously questioning what she had gotten herself into!)
It didn't occur to me until recently that Patty and Amy were both loosely based off of Barney characters. (I'm also realizing that Amy was based off of Selena Gomez! haha)  They eventually moved on and found new friends (I like to think they stayed together), but they were fun while they lasted!  I love hearing kids talk about their imaginary friends now!  I really think imaginary friends show how creative and inventive a child’s mind can be.  I know that Patty, Amy, and I had some fantastic adventures together!

Comments

  1. TJ had an imaginary brother -- before Andrew. But "he fell off the swing set and all his blood fell out and he died." I remember being in the store with her in a shopping cart, and she said,"Mom, you want me to tell you about my brother that died?" In an annoyed voice, I said no -- and another lady gave me a look like I was totally heartless. I tried to explain that she had never had a brother, but not sure she believed me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Ghosting Yourself

My Secret Sauce

Happy C-Section Awareness Month!