Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

I am ready for the month of August to come to an end, and I am really looking forward to a fresh start in September.  What a crazy-busy month (and year) this has been so far!  I am strugglin' to keep up with everything y'all!  Saturday night I gave up my title as Ms. Bridge Day, and spent the day in Oak Hill with some fabulous ladies.  So, I want to first say congratulations to all of the new titleholders. 

Now, onto what this blog post is really all about!

This weekend was extremely eye-opening for me.  I think I had a little "come to Jesus" moment.  I have always been a little full of myself, and y'all know I absolutely love attention.  Lately, I feel like it is getting a little out of hand, and is becoming a problem.  Not so much for other people, but for me.  I very rarely act on my feelings when it comes to this kind of thing, but it eats me alive inside.

Okay, what am I talking about?

This is just an example - I like to make memes and funny things to post on my @Fit2beBride Instagram account, and I make sure to put my little Instagram name at the bottom.  When I am scrolling though my timeline and notice that other people use them, but cut off my name at the bottom, I get realllllly irritated.  Another example - I recently had an issue (which I will not discuss because it is silly) but the bottom line is that I was angry because someone tried to take credit for my idea.  The kicker is that the majority of these things that make me mad, are things that don't matter.  At all.  I think I have an issue with not receiving credit for things I do.  Lack of humility. Vanity. I'm not sure what exactly to call it, but I have to find a way to resolve it.

On the flip side, I have absolutely no problem giving credit where credit is due. I will tell someone who is losing weight how great they look. I will tell someone with great hair and make-up that they are gorgeous. I will tell someone with an awesome wardrobe that they are fabulous. I will tell someone with a great idea that they are so creative and smart.  In fact, I love encouraging other people and making them feel proud of their accomplishments and talents.  I draw inspiration from those people, BUT I will not "copy" them.  I think this is where my issue comes into play.

I just don't like to feel like other people are doing exactly what I do. What I do makes me me, and what you do makes you you.  You can say to me all day that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," and that will not make any difference to me. BUT hopefully, it will.  I am trying really hard to be forgiving and take these things more as a compliment, but it is just really hard for me.

ESPECIALLY WITH WEDDING THINGS.

After the pageant we went to Pies & Pints where I sat at a table with about 100+ years of marriage experience.  My friend, Sarah, really made me realize how silly I am being.  (That's one of the reasons why I love her so much.  She isn't afraid to tell me how it is!)  They all had weddings, but none of them had Pinterest, wedding hashtags, custom cocktails, or clever sayings on chalkboards strategically placed around the room.  What they did have was a successful, happy marriage.  That's the goal.  It's time for me to let the little things go, to stop sweating the small stuff, and enjoy being engaged.  Our wedding is just a celebration of the vows we are making to each other.  As my sister, Tara, said, on June 19th everything I worked so hard to make and put together will be packed in boxes.  Then, we start a new life together as one, and the fun really begins!

I am really hoping this blog post doesn't  make me sound like a brat, but this is the most honest way I can communicate how I feel.  I am hoping that if someone reading is struggling with something similar in any aspect of their life, this post might help.

I am just feeling extremely thankful for my family, my friends, my Fiance, my new family, and just all of the wonderful people and things God has given me that I don't deserve.  I think that taking a step back and seeing the bigger picture will make these next 9 months of wedding planning extremely fun...and who knows, we just might live #HappLillyEverAfter ;)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Ghosting Yourself

My Secret Sauce

Happy C-Section Awareness Month!