She Reads Truth

I can't escape this snow! We had a big snow storm a couple of weeks ago, then I went to Raleigh, NC (foolishly thinking I would be in warm-ish weather) and was hit with a snow storm there.  I came back home to be welcomed by yet another snow storm.  I'm starting to think it's me!  With all this bad weather, I've been stuck inside like the rest of you, which means I've had a lot of time to think...and be on all of my social media accounts. I don't know if this weather is making everyone crazy or if I've just been too busy to notice, but I have to tell you guys something, and hold on to your hats because I'm about to blow you away.
This may come a shock, but you CAN be friends with people who have different beliefs.

Gasp! I knowwww! Crazy, right?

I heard about this app called She Reads Truth back at the start of the new year, and it guides you through reading the whole Bible in 365 days. I love it. I am 17% of the way through so far, and it's truly amazing what I'm learning about what I thought I already knew! Most of you know that I grew up going to church every Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night. In that time I learned a lot of stories, but never actually pulled out my Bible and read them. Adult Kellie is having her mind blown at what was left out of all my Sunday school lessons! Not that my teachers weren't fabulous, but we were just kids! We couldn't handle all the dirty deets. One of my favorite things about the app is that you can select and bookmark verses you like.  This is one that I bookmarked while reading and thinking about what I have been seeing on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc...

Galatians 6:1-5
1 Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted.  2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.  3 If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves.  4 Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else,  5 for each one should carry their own load.

At first I was like...What? First it says to "carry each other's burdens," and then it says "each one should carry their own load."  Confusing.  After re-reading it, to me, this basically says "You do you, and Imma do me." You can state your opinion, right or wrong because that right given to you in the First Amendment, but God tells to show compassion and understanding.  So "carry each other's burdens"-tell them what we believe to be true, but they will "carry their own load"-bear the consequences, good or bad, of believing what they believe.  (I may be way off! Any biblical scholars out there-feel free to comment! lol)

We tend to dismiss people who don't agree with us by concluding that they're "stupid" or "crazy" and maybe they are, but we can only state our side, and move on. There is no need to attack, be rude, or hurtful while expressing your views.  If you think that is going to convince someone to take your side, you are sadly mistaken.  I have loads of friends who believe differently than me! We might disagree when it comes to faith, politics, whether or not Salt & Vinegar chips are good, etc. etc. etc...but I don't love them any less because they believe differently. I can almost always see both sides to any topic, and see where people are coming from, but I don't have to agree.  I also don't necessarily NEED them change their way of thinking so that it agrees with mine.  Excuse the cliché, but that's what makes the world go 'round.
 
As Christians, most of us believe that we are here on Earth as God's children to spread the good news.  That is true, but I feel like many of us go about it in the wrong way. I think she should show God's love, forgiveness, and acceptance, rather than showing judgment or downright scaring people.  There has to be a reason that these people with different ideas and beliefs were placed in our lives.  We don't know why, but I'm sure there is a lesson to be learned.  It's not always easy, but we have to trust that God knows what he's doing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Ghosting Yourself

My Secret Sauce

Happy C-Section Awareness Month!