Anyway

There has been a "Bible verse challenge" going around on Facebook.  I don't know how people went from pouring buckets of water on each other’s heads to Bible verses, but okay.  I don't pretend to understand what happens on Facebook these days!  I've been tagged in a few of these challenges and I choose not to participate for no other reason than I just don't want to.  However, I do love Kim Moore.  SO, Kim, this is my reply to your challenge. :)

It's really hard to choose just one verse in the Bible.  There are 31,102 of them after all!  (I googled it!)  Kathy and I were discussing this, and we agreed that your favorite verse changes as you change.  Different passages might speak to you in different ways depending on what is going on in your life.  That is one small part of why God's word is so magnificent.

My everyday "go-to" verse is Matthew 22:37 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." Simple and straight to the point, but if I was going to tell you what's speaking to me at this point in my life, I would have to say...
Matthew 7:13-14 "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."  (Clearly I am a Matthew kinda girl. HA! Get it? Okay, moving on...)

Choosing to follow the narrow path is hard, and that is why few find it. It's something that I think everyone struggles with on a daily basis. I know social media plays a huge part in what influences me. I think it's easy to get lost in what everyone else is doing and forget what you are doing, want to do, or should be doing. We compare how good or bad our lives are by what our friends are Instagramming. How many of us girls have been sitting on the couch, catching up on Pretty Little Liars with our Chinese takeout when we look at Instagram to see a gym selfie? You hate yourself instantly for skipping the gym and eating that chicken lo mein, no matter how delicious it was!  Why do we compare our everyday moments to someone else's highlights? Bottom Line: Don't do what everyone else does just because everyone else is doing it.  Instead, focus on what God's doing and what he wants you to do.  Let's let God be the trendsetter in our lives.  If only he had an Instagram to follow!

A few months ago, Kathy gave the boys and me a copy of Mother Teresa's Anyway Poem. I decided to hang it on my corkboard in my office because I feel like I'm at work more than I'm home. I really love it, and it is a great reminder of how to follow the narrow path.

"People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered; Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God; It was never between you and them anyway."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Ghosting Yourself

My Secret Sauce

Happy C-Section Awareness Month!