Put me in coach...

Tomorrow night is my dad's very last home game as George Washington Middle School's head football coach! So first of all, I want to encourage everyone to come out, eat a hotdog, and enjoy a good game! 6:00, be there or be square! It sounds so cliche, but my dad's retirement truly is bittersweet. My dad has been "Coach Lewis" since before my sister and I even thought about being born. I think about 30 years of coaching all together. It's hard to believe that our Thursday nights won't include hearing a play by play of the big game!

For those of you who don't know, being a coach is a hard job. Any coach will tell you that. You have to have thick skin to deal with the criticism because EVERYONE seems to think they can do your job better than you, when in reality, most can't. Coaching takes a lot, and I mean A LOT, of time, effort, and knowledge of the game. You have to know your team and each of your players and find an offense that fits their strengths and weaknesses, but it doesn't stop at just teaching them plays. When you accept that job, not only is it your responsibility to teach them skills and technique, but you also become like a parent to those kids. You pay attention to their grades in school, you punish them for bad behavior, you teach them to be responsible , and you expect them to be not only outstanding students, but also citizens. You teach them the importance of perseverance and hard work, and reward them for their accomplishments and improvements. And at the end of the day, when you see your player master something that YOU taught them, it is the best feeling.

I may be very biased, but I think my dad has been an amazing coach. Not just because of wins or championships, but because he truly cares about making a difference in the lives of the players he coaches. So I just want to say congratulations on an incredible coaching career, Dad! We love you and are so proud of you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Ghosting Yourself

My Secret Sauce

Happy C-Section Awareness Month!