Thank you for being a friend...

In honor of Rue McClanahan's sad, sad, sad death today, I have decided to write about friendship. When we think of Rue, we think of Blanche, then Golden Girls, and then that little diddy pops into our heads. Thinking about the legacy of friendship that Estelle, Bea, and Rue (well and Betty, but NOT YET!) left behind makes me want to thank my friends too!
It's amazing how many friends we go through in a lifetime. As we grow, we gain and lose friends, and although some you are sad to lose, there are those you are ecstatic to lose. I've learned a thing or two about friendship the hard way. I've been absolutely socially slaughtered by a "best friend" and I've also known the joy of a truly loyal best friend.
My senior year of high school, after being slaughtered, I had a friend there to help me clean up the mess. I am eternally grateful to her because during that year I finally discovered what a real friendship was. It wasn't saying something nice to them so they wouldn't be mad at you, or neglecting every other friend because they would be mad at you for hanging out with someone else. It wasn't buying them things so they will like you more, or flirting with the guy you liked. And it wasn't always pretending not to care when they put you down. It is so frustrating to look back at those three years and realize how blind i was.
I lost this amazing friend in a car accident that same year, little did I know how many friends I had to pick me up again. When I was first told about her death, I was in the arms of my very best friend, roommate, and soul mate. He makes my life better in every way. I honestly don't know if I could have made it without him all these years.
I rekindled a friendship with an old friend. I am so thankful for the wake up call i received because without him, my life would not be so fun and would not be filled with as much laughter. It also wouldn't be filled with so many videos or Rio lol.
Right after finding out about her death, three Girls, (we call ourselves "the fab four" lol, i know) were there for me, and the moment I looked up and saw them running towards me, it was an instant band-aid for my broken heart. I still haven't completely healed but my best friends keep me patched up.
One in particular may be the best friend I have ever had. She's always lifting me up and making me laugh. I don't think we've ever even had a real fight (knock on wood). Even though she is 2 hours away at college, we still talk almost everyday, which is incredible considering how busy we both are. I love her dearly and I just want to tell her, "thank you for being a friend" :)
In the past year, I have made several VERY good friends. Each have brought a new twist into my life, and each as loyal as other. It is incredible how one thing can completely change your outlook on friendship. There are three girls I just recently became friends with who truly make me happy just to sit around and talk with them. They are all so grounded that i think it keeps me sane to simply be around them. Each is so different, yet they all come together to form this perfect little pack (complete with sound effects lol).
OH and how could i forget the boys. They poop themselves, they pee on things, and they leave messes everywhere, but for some reason, i cant help but love them. I have never met a funnier group of people in my life, and every day with them is a good day.
As our lives change and we separate, i feel like i try desperately to cling to these people because they are the best I've ever known. Everyone is strung throughout the state at different colleges, and we all go to class and work. Lately, I find myself looking around and thinking, "omg, were old!" In just a few years we will be going to each others weddings and children's B-Day parties, which is just unfathomable to me! When it gets to that point, we truly will be clinging to our friendships, and probably our sanity. True friendship is hard to come by, and it is a rare blessing when you find it, so maybe I'm not entirely crazy for trying to hang onto these friendships.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Ghosting Yourself

My Secret Sauce

Happy C-Section Awareness Month!